Fortnightly News 19/11/2021
As the newly elected President of the Club it will be my pleasant duty to keep in touch with members through this regular News Update. I would firstly like to thank everyone who came out on a pretty chilly morning to attend the AGM and to ensure that we were able to meet our Constitutional and regulatory obligations in this regard. The list of Management Committee members elected at the meeting is below.
WODEN SENIORS MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEMBERS 2021-22
President Jenny Gregory
Vice-President Sue Allen
Secretary Christine MacKay
Treasurer Jennifer Pratten
Committee Cindy McMillan
Committee Catharine Masters
Committee Gail Giuliano
Committee Ron Stewart
Committee Grahame Cheers
Paul McGlew has retired from the President’s position although not from the Club of course, and Gail Guliano has stepped down from the Secretary’s position but will continue to provide her support as a Committee member. Following the AGM Paul and Gail received some recognition of their combined many many years of service to the Club.
A former President, Anne Murray, wrote the following:
Thank you to the immediate past President
I first met Paul when he came to play Bridge with his mother on Tuesday mornings at the Seniors Club. His mother Heather was an enthusiastic ballroom dancer and Bridge player and I could see why she was proud of her son. I asked if he could consider taking on the role of President. He said yes, which I thought was fantastic. Paul carried out his role of President with confidence. He is always calm and thoughtful. He listens and would always be considered a quiet achiever. When Paul is around, we know everything will be fine. Thank you for everything you have done Paul.
Anne Murray AM
Club Closing Times for the Festive Season
The Club will close at 4pm on Friday 17 December 2021 and re-open on Monday 10 January 2022. Activity groups can continue to use the Club through this period by arrangement with the front office.
One of the very popular activities at the Club has been the annual Christmas Lunch. Sadly the Committee has decided that even though we are now in the process of ‘learning to live with the virus’ we cannot risk a gathering of 100 or so people in the Club for a couple of hours for a Christmas lunch. I understand that Christmas 2022 is still on so we will save our celebrations until then.
BIG Book Fair – Save the date
The Book Fair is scheduled for early next year. It will be over three days from Friday 25 to Sunday 27 March 2022. Add these dates to your diary and think about how you can assist. This is the major fund-raiser for the Club and we have been unable to hold it for two years now.
The container and store-room are jam-packed with boxes of high quality books just waiting for enthusiastic customers.
Woden Seniors Inc.
PO Box 345, Woden ACT 2606
Tel: (02) 6282 2573
Warning: I intend to include at least one silly joke in issues of the Newsletter from now on. Apologies to the members of the Monday Tai Chi group who may have seen the some of them already.
COMMUNITY NOTICES AND INFORMATION
Get IT is back!
The Council on the Ageing, ACT (COTA ACT) is again offering its popular one on one ‘Get IT’ digital support sessions after the lockdown.
You can learn with one of the digital mentors by contacting the COTA ACT office on 02 6282 3777. Appointments are limited and booking fast.
Some of the things COTA ACT has helped people with over the past months include:
– Setting up email addresses
– Downloading and using the Check In CBR app
– Checking for COVID-19 exposure locations
– Downloading and using Zoom
– Accessing MyGov
– Downloading your digital COVID-19 certificate
– Beginning phone use such as turning the phone on and off, adding and editing editing contacts, making phone calls and sending text messages
COTA ACT is based at the Hughes Community Centre.
Accessing your Vaccination Certificate
You can access a copy of your vaccination certificate two ways:
- Online: via your Medicare or My Health Record account on MyGov
- Call the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809 and ask them to send your proof to you. It can take up to 14 days for your statement or certificate to arrive in the post.
For full details about how to access your certificate, visit the Services Australia site.
You can now securely store your COVID-19 digital certificate in the Check In CBR App. You can access your certificate to the app through a secure verification process using either their Express Plus Medicare App or myGov account. Once the COVID-19 digital certificate is downloaded to the app, a vaccination tick status will appear next to the user’s name the next time they check in.
As vaccination data sits in the Federal Australian Immunisation Register, the process to integrate the COVID-19 digital certificate into Check In CBR app is:
- Go to the CBR App in Settings on your phone and update it.
- Have a myGov account with your Medicare connected
- Once logged in to myGov, select the Proof of COVID-19 vaccination quick link which will take you to your Medicare account.
- Select ‘View history’ under Immunisation history
- Select ‘Share with check in app’
- Select the Check In CBR and provide consent to download
COTA ACT are also providing assistance to help you get your vaccination certificate posted to you. If you’d like support to access your certificate online or through your mobile device one of our digital mentors may be able to assist you through our free Get IT program. Contact the COTA ACT office to make an appointment on 6282 3777 (available online via zoom or face to face – in person appointments will be resuming from early November).
Covid 19 Restrictions
- Check in everywhere you go with the Check In CBR app;
- Maintain good hand hygiene;
- Face-masks are mandatory in the ACT high risk facilities, including a hospital, on public transport, residential aged care facility;
- Physical distance from each other at least 1.5 metre or one person per two metres when indoors; and
- You don’t need to wear face-mask when outside, undertaking vigorous exercise, during eating or drinking
Please Do Not Enter the Club if:
- You are feeling unwell and developing cold or flu like symptoms (including fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue or shortness of breath); or
- You have been in close contact with someone with these symptoms or is a confirmed COVID-19 case; or
- You or someone you have been in close contact with has recently returned from interstate or overseas.
We have been advised that the Spiral Group based at the Uniting Church in Curtin will not be resuming their normal activities until after Christmas. We will keep you advised!